Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
The Official Home of Massachusetts Maritime Athletics

Buccaneers fall to Owls on Senior Night

Buccaneers fall to Owls on Senior Night

BUZZARDS BAY, Mass – Friday evening the Buccaneers hosted the Westfield State Owls in the final regular season game of 2019 which also marked senior night for six Bucs, Kyle Daly (Plymouth, Mass), Andrew Wayrynen (Rockport, Mass), Stephen Froio (Auburn, Mass), Adam Crawford (Kingston, Mass), Jake Pforr (Weymouth, Mass), and Brady Lemmon (California, Md). Coming in to the game Westfield sat in fifth place in the MASCAC and in the playoff picture while the Buccaneers started the night in seventh place, one spot out of the playoffs and needing a win over the Owls to secure a spot in the postseason. The game ended 2-0 in favor of Westfield, ending the Buccaneer's season.

The Basics

Final: Owls 2, Buccaneers 0

Records: Mass Maritime 3-12-3 (1-5-1 MASCAC)

                Westfield State 5-11-1 (3-4 MASCAC)

For The Bucs

  • Maritime outshot Westfield 16-11 and put five of those shots on target. Junior Captain Ben Paine (Dartmouth, Mass) put two of those shots on goal. A. Crawford had the most shots in the game for the Bucs with six, one of which was on target.
  • Goalkeeper John Murphy (Braintree, Mass) got the start in the game. He faced three shots, made one save and allowed two goals. Mitch Hardy (Pepperell, Mass) came in in the second half, faced three shots and made three saves.

For The Owls

  • Junior Ryan Morais (Uxbridge, Mass) and freshman Noel Powell (Lee, Mass) each scored in the game for Westfield.
  • Junior goalkeeper Nick Chambers (Southwick, Mass) faced five Maritime shots and made five saves.

How It Happened

The game began with the Buccaneers going on the offensive early and often. The Buccaneers got off six shots in the first half with two on target. Maritime were unable to break the scoreless tie but in the 20th minute Westfield did just that. Morais was in the right spot at the right time when Murphy booted the ball from inside the 18 and Morais was standing in front of the kick, heading it in to the back of the net from just outside the 18 yard box. Maritime once again pushed but were unable to tie the game at 1-1 and in the 41st minute the Owls extended their lead to two goals. With some fancy footwork Powell dribbled around a handful of Buccaneer defenders and tucked a shot in to the top right corner past Murphy. The lead held until the clock hit zero and the teams went to the break with the Owls up 2-0.

In an attempt to make a comeback, the Buccaneers outshot the Owls in the second half 10-5. The Maritime defense was on point as they didn't allow Westfield to extend their lead but were also unable to break through the Owl back line to make a dent on the scoreboard. The game ended 2-0 in favor of the Owls, dashing the playoff hopes of the Bucs and ending their season.

Mass. Maritime Buccaneers101 Academy Drive. Buzzards Bay, MA 02532508-830-5049 Privacy Policy