BUZZARDS BAY, Mass – The Buccaneers hosted the WPI Engineers on Saturday afternoon at Clean Harbors Stadium and fell to their guests, 8-0.
Final: Engineers 8, Buccaneers 0
Records: Mass Maritime 1-4-2
For The Bucs
- Maritime took three shots in the game, two on target. Freshman Rob Rutkai (Annapolis, Md) and junior Justin Burns (Walpole, Mass) took the shots on goal.
- Starting goalkeeper Mitch Hardy (Pepperell, Mass) picked up the loss in the game allowing three goals and making three saves on six shots in his 45 minutes on the field.
For The Engineers
- WPI took 23 shots, 12 on target and scored eight goals.
- Senior Jackson Conroy (Reading, Mass) and freshman David Lapointe (Waterbury, VT) each scored twice in the game.
- Four other players, Mark Calnan (Winchester, Mass), Zane Carey (Chesapeake Bay, MD), Luke Lindholm (Sterling, Mass) and Franco Bazzini (San Juan, PR) each scored as well.
- Goalkeeper Rufus Adams (Duxbury, Mass) picked up the win between the pipes, making one save in 45 minutes. Roe Hendrick (Nashua, N.H.) played the second half also making one saving.
How It Happened
WPI scored early, in the third minute, to take a 1-0 lead on a Conroy goal, which proved to be the game winner. The Engineers scored two more times in the first half, in the 16th minute on Conroy's second and then in the 21st on Calnan's goal. The teams went to the break with WPI leading 3-0.
In the second half, Lapointe, off the bench, scored his first goal of the day in the 54th minute to run the advantage to 4-0. Bazzini and Lindholm went on to score a minute apart in the 60th and 61st minutes to go up 6-0. In the final 10 minutes Lapointe scored his second and Carey found the back of the net to make it 8-0, the eventual final score.
The Buccaneers host Worcester State on Friday, September 20th at 7pm in their first conference game of the season. WPI take a trip to Endicott College on Tuesday, September 17th to take on the Gulls at 7pm.