Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
The Official Home of Massachusetts Maritime Athletics

Wayrynen Scores Team Leading Fourth Goal in Overtime Loss to Lancers

Wayrynen Scores Team Leading Fourth Goal in Overtime Loss to Lancers

BUZZARDS BAY, Mass – On Friday night, the Buccaneers played their first conference game of the season hosting Worcester State at Clean Harbors Stadium. A game that was delayed at the start by 68 minutes, and went into overtime, ended in the first overtime period, 2-1, in favor of the Lancers.

The Basics

Final: Lancers 2, Buccaneers 1 (1OT)

Records: Mass Maritime 1-5-2 (0-1 MASCAC)

               Worcester State 3-5 (1-0 MASCAC)

For The Bucs

  • Senior Andrew Wayrynen (Rockport, Mass) scored his team leading fourth goal of the season on a direct free kick. Wayrynen took a team leading six shots, three of which were on target.
  • The Buccaneers as a team took nine shots in total, four on target.
  • Goalkeeper Mitch Hardy (Pepperell, Mass) made five saves on seven shots and allowed two goals.

For The Lancers

  • Senior Alfred Koroma (Millbury, Mass) scored on his lone shot of the game.
  • Junior Liren Halle (Arlington, Texas) scored the game winner in overtime for the Lancers.
  • Junior Lincoln Henry (Kingston, Jamaica) was credited with an assist on the Halle goal.
  • Worcester took 16 shots as a team, eight of which were on goal.
  • Senior goalkeeper Henri Guilmette (Franklin, Mass) made three saves in the game and allowed the one Buc goal on four shots faced.

How It Happened

The start of the game was delayed 68 minutes due to Worcester arriving late because of traffic. Once the game started, it was a physical, hard fought game by both teams.

In the fifth minute, Koroma scored the first goal of the night from the right side just outside the 18 yard box. He floated the ball in to the box which found its way over Hardy's head and in to the top left corner of the net to put the Lancers up 1-0. Worcester outshot the Bucs 8-4 in the first half though the Lancers were unable to extend their lead and the Bucs were unable to erase the first half deficit. The teams went to halftime at 1-0 in favor of the visitors.

The second half did not start with the excitement the first half did but the fireworks flew throughout the second 45. In the second half, five yellow cards were handed out between the two teams. Three for Worcester, two for Maritime. In terms of the score, the teams were unable to find the back of the net for the first 30 minutes of the second half. Then, in the 76th minute, on a direct free kick, Wayrynen bent the ball around the right side of the Worcester wall finding the bottom right corner to tie the game at 1-1. For the next 15 minutes, both teams attacked but stingy defense kept the game at one apiece at the end of regulation.

In the overtime period, Maritime went on the offensive early. Each time Worcester gained possession they attempted a quick, ball over the top, counter-attack, looking for Halle each time. Early on, none of their efforts were successful. Then, in the 95th minute, Henry played Halle through on goal. Hardy attempted to come out and handle the ball which was deflected away from him to Halle's right foot allowing him to put the ball in the net to win the game for the Lancers 2-1.

Up Next

The Buccaneers are back home on Tuesday, September 24th when they take on Salve Regina at 7pm in non-conference play. Worcester State's next game is at home against Salem State on September 28th at 11am in MASCAC play.

Mass. Maritime Buccaneers101 Academy Drive. Buzzards Bay, MA 02532508-830-5049 Privacy Policy