FITCHBURG, Mass – Men's soccer continued their conference schedule on Saturday evening with a trip to Fitchburg to take on the Falcons at Elliot Field. An early goal from the Bucs was erased by a late Falcon goal and after 110 minutes of play, the match finished in a 1-1 draw.
Final: Buccaneers 1, Falcons 1
Records: Mass Maritime 2-8-3 (0-3-1 MASCAC)
Fitchburg State 5-5-2 (2-1-1 MASCAC)
For The Bucs
- Junior Jacob Crawford (Rockland, Mass) scored his second goal of the season for the Bucs in the game.
- In total, the Bucs took 20 shots, 10 on target.
- Sophomore goalkeeper John Murphy (Braintree, Mass) had an impressive evening, making seven saves and allowing the one Falcon goal on eight shots faced.
For The Falcons
- Forward Alexander Loyd scored for the Falcons late in the game.
- Fitchburg took 23 shots in the game, 10 of which were on target.
- Goalkeeper Branton Abbett also made seven saves on eight shots faced, allowing the one Maritime goal.
How It Happened
Crawford scored for the Bucs in the third minute to put the Buccaneers up 1-0 early. Thought the Buccaneers were unable to score again in the first half, the defense held the 1-0 lead until the half.
In the second half, neither team was able to capitalize on their chances early on. With the Buccaneers clinging to a 1-0 advantage late, the Falcons finally broke through with under two minutes to play on Loyd's ninth goal of the season in the 89th minute. The game would head to overtime at 1-1.
Maritime outshot the Falcons in both overtime periods, 2-1 and 4-3. With the golden goal rule in effect the teams took their shots but could not break through to break the tie. After two 10-minute overtime periods, 110 minutes total, the game finished in a 1-1 draw.
Maritime hosts Brandeis at 7pm on Tuesday, October 15th at Clean Harbors Stadium.