BUZZARDS BAY, Mass – The Buccaneers welcomes the undefeated in conference Salem State Vikings in to a chilly Clean Harbors Stadium on Friday evening for a conference matchup. A game dominated by defense finished 1-0 in favor of the Vikings.
Final: Vikings 1, Buccaneers 0
Records: Mass Maritime 2-10-3 (0-4-1 MASCAC)
Salem State 9-4-1 (5-0-0 MASCAC)
For The Bucs
- The Buccaneers took nine total shots in the game with four on target.
- Sophomore goalkeeper John Murphy (Braintree, Mass) faced 11 shots. He made 10 saves and allowed the only goal of the game.
For The Vikings
- Salem junior Lucas Amaral (Peabody, Mass) scored the goal unassisted from a free kick.
- Salem took a total of 16 shots with 11 on target.
- Goalkeeper Matthew Hauntsman (Milford, N.H.) faced four shots, saving all of them.
How It Happened
Friday night's game featured one of the lowest shot totals of the season by the Bucs and allowed by the Bucs. Salem, a team that doesn't take many shots took 16 total putting 11 on target, keeping with their season theme of taking quality shots and putting nearly 60% of them on goal. The Bucs Average nearly 13 shots a game and took just 8, half of which were at Hauntsman. In the first half, Salem took eight shots and made one count. In the 37th minute Amaral set up for a free kick from 30 yards out. Positioned left of the net he put a shot on goal the snuck past Murphy and in to the net to put Salem up 1-0, which would also be the halftime score.
The second half featured 13 total shots, mild chippy-ness by both sides and zero goals. Though the Bucs had a chance on a great header by AJ Bubencik (Foxboro, Mass) a great save by Hauntsman prevented the Bucs from tying the game. At the end of the 90-minute regulation the Vikings had held on to a one-goal lead to win 1-0.
The Buccaneers will host Coast Guard on Tuesday, October 22nd at 7pm at Clean Harbors Stadium.