BUZZARDS BAY, Mass – The Buccaneers hosted Coast Guard in their final non-conference game of the season on Tuesday evening at Clean Harbors Stadium. A tough Bears team shut out the Bucs, 4-0.
Final: Bears 4, Buccaneers 0
Records: Mass Maritime 2-11-3 (0-4-1 MASCAC)
Coast Guard 8-7 (1-4 NEWMAC)
For The Bucs
- Maritime took nine shots total in the game, four of which were on target. Two of those shots on goal came off the foot of freshman Rob Rutkai (Annapolis, Md).
- Sophomore goalkeepers Mitch Hardy (Pepperell, Mass) and John Murphy (Braintree, Mass) each played a half, each faced eight shots, each made six saves and allowed two goals.
For The Bears
- There were four different goal scorers in the game for CGA; Senior Brock Hassett (Glastonbury, Conn), Robbie Fugett (Saint Mary's, Ga), John DiTommaso (Framington, Conn) and Mike Daunt (Haymarket, Va) all scored for the Bears.
- Fugett was credited with an assist on the DiTommaso goal.
- Starting goalkeeper Dakota Harich (New Market, Md) faced two shots, saving both. In relief in the second half, John Vaaler (Arnold, Md) saved the only shot he faced.
How It Happened
On a rain soaked Clean Harbors Stadium field, the teams played to a 0-0 draw through the first 24 minutes. In the 25th minute the Bears broke the scoreless tie on a DiTommaso header from the edge of the six yard box on a corner kick from Fugett to put the Bears up 1-0. Coast Guard added a second goal 13 minutes later in the 38th minute on Daunts score on an unassisted effort to make the score 2-0 in favor of CGA. That 2-0 score was the score at the end of the first half.
In the second half, Fugett added to his score line by scoring in the 56th minute. He stole a pass away from the Buccaneer defense, dribbled in on his own and beat the keeper to his right, tucking the ball in to the bottom left hand corner. 18 minute later, Hassett scored the fourth and final goal of the night, unassisted in the 73rd minute. When the clock hit zero, the Buccaneers fell to the Bears 4-0.
The Buccaneers travel to North Adams, Mass on Friday evening to take on the MCLA Trailblazers in MASCAC play at 6pm.