BRIDGEWATER, Mass – Men's Soccer traveled up 495 to Bridgewater this afternoon to take on the Bears in conference play. The Bucs came home empty handed losing, 5-1, to their hosts.
Final: Bears 5, Buccaneers 1
Records: Mass Maritime 2-8-2 (0-3 MASCAC)
Bridgewater State 2-8-1 (2-1 MASCAC)
For The Bucs
- Buccaneer senior Andrew Wayrynen (Rockport, Mass) scored on his only shot on goal of the evening. It was his team-leading sixth goal of the season.
- Goalkeeper Mitch Hardy (Pepperrell, Mass) started in net for the Bucs, making three saves and allowing all five goals. John Murphy (Braintree, Mass) came in late in the second half in relief of Hardy. He made four saves on four shots faced.
For The Bears
- Justin Borges scored three times for the Bears.
- Shane Ebanks and Davis Nelson each added a goal. Ebanks also had an assist.
- Joseph Madden, Jr. recorded two assists in the game. Kevin Roberts, Will Halben each had one assist.
- Goalkeeper Nate Morgado faced four shots, made three saves and allowed the one goal to the Bucs.
How It Happened
Bridgewater opened the scoring in the 13th minute when Borges scored the first of his hat trick. Shortly after, in the 19th minute, Nelson found the back of the net to put the Bears up 2-0. Maritime cut the deficit in half in the 22nd minute of Wayrynen's unassisted effort. Borges extended the Bear lead back to two goals in the 27th minute, unassisted. The first half fireworks ended there and the teams played to a 3-1 score, in favor of the Bears, to end the first half.
In the second half, Bridgewater scored two more goals, in the 52nd minutes from Ebanks, and in the 56th minute from Borges, his third of the day. Maritime was unable to find the net in the remaining 30-odd minutes and the Bears secured the 5-1 victory.
The Buccaneers are off until next Saturday when they take to the road again for a conference matchup with Fitchburg State on October 12th at 5pm.