LEICESTER, Mass – Monday afternoon, the Buccaneer men's soccer team traveled to the Worcester area to take on the Becker College Hawks in non-conference play. It took nearly 110 minutes but Maritime pulled out a 3-2 win in double overtime.
Final: Buccaneers 3, Hawks 2 (2OT)
Records: Mass Maritime 2-7-2 (0-2 MASCAC)
Becker 1-9 (0-2 NECC)
For The Bucs
- Senior Andrew Wayrynen (Rockport, Mass) scored his team leading fifth goal.
- Juniors AJ Bubencik (Foxboro, Mass) and Jacob Crawford (Rockland, Mass) each scored their first goals of the season in the game. Crawford scored the game winner in the second overtime period.
- Junior Captain Ben Paine (Dartmouth, Mass), Senior Captain Jake Pforr (Weymouth, Mass) and junior Justin Burns (Walpole, Mass) each recorded an assist in the game.
- Starting goalkeeper Mitch Hardy (Pepperell, Mass) make five saves and allowed one goal on six shots faced. He was relieved at halftime with the score tied at 1-1 by John Murphy (Braintree, Mass). Murphy made four saves and allowed a goal. He picked up the win in overtime.
For The Hawks
- Becker's goals were scored by Isaiah McCaskill and Jordan Wise.
- Wise and Haendel Louhis each had an assist in the game.
- Goalkeeper Sam Majewski faced 13 shots on target, saving 10 and allowing the three Maritime goals.
How It Happened
The scoring was opened by Becker midway through the first half. In the 25th minute, Wise scored on a pass from Louhis to put his team up 1-0. Straight of the ensuing kickoff, the Buccaneers went on the attack. Wayrynen fired the ball in to the back of the net in the 26th minute to tie the game at one apiece. Neither team scored in the remaining minutes of the first half keeping the score 1-1 at the break.
Maritime took their first lead on the game 10 minutes in to the second half. In the 55th minute, Bubencik found the back of the net, thanks to a Paine pass. It was Bubencik's first goal of the season to put the Bucs up 2-1. Holding their 2-1 lead for 30 minutes, the Buccaneers continued to attack but were unable to extend their lead. Becker went on the counter multiple times and in the 86th minute erased their imminent defeat, at least for the moment, on McCaskill's score. The team's finished regulation tied at 2-2.
In over time, neither team scored in the first 10 minutes, though Becker did rattle off four shots in the period. In the second half of over time, Maritime outshot the Hawks 3-1 but it was the last one that mattered. In the 107th minute, with three minutes until the game would end in a draw, Crawford scored his first goal of 2019 to send the Buccaneers home with the 3-2 victory.
The Buccaneers are off until Friday when they will travel to Bridgewater State to take on the Bears in MASCAC play at 4pm.