SALEM, Mass – Saturday afternoon, the Buccaneer women's soccer team traveled to Salem State to take on the Vikings looking for their first conference win of the season and coming off an exciting overtime victory over Anna Maria at the beginning of the week.
Final: Vikings 2, Buccaneers 0
Records: Mass Maritime 2-13 (0-6 MASCAC)
Salem State 7-6-2 (4-1-1 MASCAC)
For The Bucs
- Maritime took one shot in the game and it was on target by Ariel Damery (Plympton, Mass)
- Freshman goalkeeper Paige Albertson (Nantucket, Mass) faced 10 shots in the game, making eight saves and allowing the two Salem goals.
For The Vikings
- Taylor Capozzi scored both goals in the game for the Vikings on her five shots on target.
- Lyndsey Martins was credited with an assist on the first Capozzi goal.
- Starting goalkeeper Rebecca Sabino picked up the win in the game and did not face a shot. In relief Lily Pfefferle made one save on the lone shot she faced.
How It Happened
It took nearly 41 minutes for Salem to score their first goal with the Buccaneer defense holding strong. Then, in the 41st minute, Martins delivered a pass that found Capozzi which she put in to the back of the net to give the Vikings a 1-0 advantage. 1-0 Salem was the score at the break.
In the second half, more stout defense by the Buccaneers kept the score at 1-0 but they were also unable to cut through the Viking fleet to bring the game even. In the 83rd minute, Capozzi scored her second, unassisted, to give the Vikings the eventual 2-0 lead for the victory.
The Buccaneers were scheduled to play Pine Manor College on Monday, October 21st but that game has been cancelled. Instead, the Bucs will host the Rivier University Raiders on Thursday, October 24th at 7pm at Clean Harbors Stadium. It will be the second meeting of the season between the two teams. The Raiders won the first match-up in Nashua, N.H. 5-1 back on September 13th.