WORCESTER, Mass – Women's soccer traveled to Worcester State to take on the Lancers in their first game of conference play in 2019. Worcester bested the Bucs, 7-0.
Final: Lancers 7, Buccaneers 0
Records: Mass Maritime 1-6 (0-1 MASCAC)
Worcester State 2-4-1 (1-0 MASCAC)
For The Bucs
- The Bucs took one shot in the game. It came off the foot of freshman Ariel Damery (Plympton, Mass).
- Goalkeeper Paige Albertson (Nantucket, Mass) made 10 saves in the game on 17 shots faced, allowing seven Lancer goals.
For The Lancers
- Ali Maldonado scored a hat trick for Worcester on six shots on target.
- Fiona Weir, Tsara LeBlanc¸ Haley Samara, and Talia Borci each scored in the game.
- Megan Gurlitz and Haley Mignon were each credited with an assist.
- Goalkeeper Tori Socci improved to 2-2 on the season between the pipes, not facing a single shot on target by the Bucs.
How It Happened
Worcester took the lead early in the first half on Maldonado's first goal of the day in the seventh minute. That goal would be the game winner. The Lancers scored two more times in the first half. In the 28th minute, LeBlance scored by way of a Gurlitz pass, Borci found the back of the net in the 35th minute on a pass from Mignon. At the half, Worcester led the Bucs, 3-0.
To begin the second half, Worcester extended their lead to four goals 38 seconds in on Maldonado's second goal of the day. Weir netted her goal three minutes later to make it 5-0. Maldonado scored her third in the 55th minute. With Worcester up 6-0, the Buccaneers held the Lancer attack down until the 89th minute. Samara scored to make the score 7-0m the eventual final score.
Maritime hosts Bay Path University at Clean Harbors Stadium on Monday, September 23rd at 7pm.