BRIDGEWATER, Mass – This weekend marks homecoming weekend at Mass Maritime and the women's soccer team opened the festivities by hosting Bridgewater State at Clean Harbors Stadium. The Buccaneers fell to the Bears, 4-0.
Final: Bears 4, Buccaneers 0
Records: Mass Maritime 1-9 (0-3 MASCAC)
Bridgewater State 5-5 (2-1 MASCAC)
For The Bucs
- The Bucs had two shots in the game, both from Shannon Elwood (Kingston, Mass), one of which was on target.
- Goalkeeper Paige Albertson (Nantucket, Mass) faced 22 shots, allowed four goals and made, a career high, 18 shots.
For The Bears
- BSU senior Alana Vincent (Taunton, Mass) scored twice to lead all scorers. She also added an assist.
- Allison Aldred (Saugus, Mass) and Amelia Burke (Plymouth, Mass) each scored in the game for the Bears.
- Emma Sanders (Seekonk, Mass) had an assist for the visitors.
- Goalkeeper Kellie Souza (Wilmington, Mass) faced one shot and made the save in the win.
How It Happened
A very defensive system by the Buccaneers held off the Bears until the 22nd minute. The Bears were awarded a penalty shot on a Maritime tackle in the box which Vincent converted with a well-placed shot in the top left corner. Seven minutes later in the 29th minute, Aldred scored on a shot from 25 yards out off a pass from Vincent to put her team up 2-0. The score at the half remained the same.
In the second half, Bridgewater scored two more times. Vincetn scored her second in the 54th minute on a through pass up the middle from Sanders. She dribbled around the goalkeeper on a one-on-one and put the ball in the net to make the score 3-0. In the 63rd, Burke score on an unassisted effort to run the score to 4-0, the eventual final.
The Buccaneers are at Becker College on Tuesday, October 8th. The game is scheduled to begin at 6pm.