BUZZARDS BAY, Mass – The Buccaneers welcomes Anna Maria into Clean Harbors Stadium Monday evening seeking their second win of the season. After an exciting yet scoreless first half, the second half provided a goal by each team forcing over time. The Bucs ended the game less than four minutes in, 2-1, for their second victory of 2019.
Final: Buccaneers 2, AMCATS 1 (OT)
Records: Mass Maritime 2-11 (0-4 MASCAC)
Anna Maria 3-9-1 (0-6-1 GNAC)
For The Bucs
- Freshman Julia Podchaiski (Wallingford, Conn) scored her third goal of the season in overtime on a first-time shot, tying her for the team lead in goals. Podchaiski also assisted on the first goal of the night for the Bucs.
- Junior midfielder Colleen Sullivan (Braintree, Mass) scored the first goal for the Bucs on a header into the back of the net on a perfect delivery from Podchaiski.
- Freshman Ariel Damery (Plympton, Mass) recorded her second assist of the season on the game winning goal in overtime.
- Freshman goalkeeper Paige Albertson (Nantucket, Mass) made six saves and allowed one goal on seven shots faced.
For The AMCATS
- Sophomore Sidney Eskildsen (Murrieta, Calif) came off the bench to score the only goal of the night for the AMCATS on a little flick into the right side of the net on a delivery into the box.
- Sophomore Briana Riley (Bluffton, S.C.) was credited with the assist on the Eskildsen goal.
- Sophomore goalkeeper Rachel Matloff (Grafton, Mass) faced seven shots, allowed two goals and made five saves.
How It Happened
The first half of this one went fast with each team doing their fair share of attacking and defending. Between the two teams there were 10 total shots, seven by Anna Maria, and three from Maritime. Neither team could find the back of the net, sending the game to halftime tied 0-0.
Maritime was once again outshot in the second 45, 13-6, but made a header in the 55th minute count. Podchaiski delivered a ball into the box from the right side of goal, waiting for the pass was Sullivan who headed the ball into the bottom right hand corner to put the Bucs up 1-0. Now down, the AMCATS went on the offensive. Early on they were unable to erase the deficit then, in the 84th minute, Riley crossed a ball into the box. The ball found the foot of Eskildsen as she ran in the box past the Maritime defense, flicking it in past Alberton to tie the game, 1-1. Opportunities were spoiled in the remaining minutes of regulation and the game went to over time.
Only two shots were taken in overtime, both by the Buccaneers. The second shot would be the game winner. After getting the ball back on a throw-in, the Buccaneer attack centered the ball. Dribbling in the middle, Damery passed to her right to a wide open Podchaiski. From 32 yards out, right of goal, Podchaiski sent a shot into the box that sailed into the top right corner, over the head of Matloff, to win the game for the Bucs, 2-1, just under four minutes into overtime.
The Buccaneers are on the road on Saturday, October 19th against Salem State in conference play. Kickoff is set for 4pm.