NASHUA, N.H. – Friday evening, the Buccaneers women's soccer team traveled to Nashua to take on Rivier University. Still battling for their first win of 2019, the Bucs fell to the Raiders 5-1.
Final: Rivier 5, Mass Maritime 1
Records: Mass Maritime 0-4
For the Bucs
- Junior transfer Sasha Alves (Freetown, Mass) scored her first career goal as a Buccaneer in the 31st minute.
- Freshman Ariel Damery (Plympton, Mass) picked up an assist on the Alves goal.
- Jackie Damery (Plympton, Mass) accounted for 40% of the Maritime shots on target with two.
- Goalie Paige Alberton (Nantucket, Mass) made three saves in the game, allowing five goals.
For the Raiders
- Five different players scored for the Raiders in the contest. Avery Martin, Brittany Fletcher, Ashley Glynn, Madison Sharpe, and Jaida Mitchell.
- Carley Bostwick and Fletcher each tallied an assist.
- Goalkeeper Micayla Bourski made four saves on five shots faced, allowing the one Maritime goal.
How it Happened
Both teams took the same amount of shots in the game, 11. Maritime had seven in the first half, four in the second. Rivier had four in the first, seven in the second. Glynn scored first to put the Raiders up 1-0 in the eighth minute. Mitchell made it 2-0 in the 21st minute on a ball the hit the post before going in the net. Maritime cut the lead in half on Alves' goal in the 31st minute off a pass from A. Damery that she stung in to the back of the net from the top of the 18-yard box. The teams went to the break at 2-1 in favor of the Raiders.
Rivier scored early in the second, just five minutes in, in the 50th minutes on Martin's goal from Fletcher at the top of the 18. Rivier scored two more times, in the 54th minute on a chipped ball from outside of the 18 from Sharpe and in the 78th minute on a breakaway goal from Fletcher to seal the score at 5-1 in favor of the hosts.
The Buccaneers are back home for a pair of weekday games next week. The first of which is on Monday night at 7pm against Nichols College. Sousa's crew will then host Mitchell College on Wednesday night at 7pm at Clean Harbors Stadium.