BUZZARDS BAY, Mass – Volleyball hosted the Worcester State Lancers on Saturday evening inside the Clean Harbors Center. After falling to Salem State earlier in the week, the Buccaneers fell for the second time in conference this week, losing in straight set to the Lancers, 3-0.
Final: Lancers 3, Buccaneers 0 (25-9, 25-13, 25-11)
Records: Mass Maritime 2-16 (0-5 MASCAC)
Worcester State 7-15 (3-2 MASCAC)
For The Bucs
- Three players tied for the lead in kills for Maritime. Freshman Alexa Smith (Shippensburg, Penn), Freshman Hannah Tarbox (Attleboro, Mass) and junior Madison Coughlin (Monroe, Conn) each had two kills in the match.
- Coughlin led the team in assists with eight on the day.
- Senior Captain Marie Harrison (Weymouth, Mass) had the lone service ace for the Bucs.
- Senior Captain Christina Ruggeri (Bourne, Mass) recorded eight kills on the defensive end to lead all players.
- The Bucs recorded two blocks in the match, one by Senior Captain Michelle Sheehan (Attleboro, Mass), the other by Coughlin
For The Lancers
- Sophomore Natalie Gillis (Ashland, Mass) led the Lancers and all players with seven kills in the match.
- Sophomore Sarah Ward (Townsend, Mass) recorded a match-high 14 assists.
- Senior Stephanie Chapin (Hampden, Mass) led the match with seven service aces.
- Freshman Camryn Burgio (Quincy, Mass) had a team-high seven digs on the defensive end.
- Worcester had six solo blocks in the match. Freshman Erin Gaffney (Worcester, Mass) led with three of her own, Chapin added two more. Chapin also had two block assists along with Gillis and freshman Gabby Alberghini (Northborough, Mass) who also had a solo block.
How It Happened
Worcester had the Bucs number and the momentum all match long. In the first set, the Lancers took an early 10-3 lead. Following a Maritime timeout, the Bucs scored two consecutive points but Worcester followed that up with a four-point run of their own. The Bucs stayed within ten points until the score hit 19-9. From there, Worcester scored six unanswered, including four Chapin service aces, to win the game 25-9.
Set two was closer early on as the Bucs kept within a few points, even getting within two, 9-7, early on. From there, Worcester kept up a steady run of points, never going on big runs thanks to some good play by the Bucs but did keep a steady five to seven points lead. Late in the game the Lancers held a 17-11 lead and went on to score eight of the next 10 points to win game two, 25-13.
In the third set, the teams exchanged points at the beginning. With the score 4-3 Lancers, Worcester proceeded to go on a 5-0 run to go up 10-3. A four-point run in the middle of the set gave the guests a commanding 14-5 lead. The Bucs would cut that lead to seven, scoring six of the next 10 points. With the score 18-11, Worcester scored the next seven points, finishing off the game and the set with a Chapin ace, winning the game 25-11 and the match 3-0.
The Buccaneers are on the road on Wednesday, October 23rd to take on Bridgewater State in conference play.