NORTH ADAMS, Mass – Buccaneer volleyball went on the road to MCLA on Friday evening to take on the Trailblazers in the team's second MASCAC match of the season. The Bucs were beaten in straight sets, 3-0.
Final: Trailblazers 3, Buccaneers 0 (25-10, 25-23, 25-13)
Records: Mass Maritime 1-11 (0-2 MASCAC)
MCLA 9-4 (1-1 MASCAC)
For The Bucs
- Senior Captains Marie Harrison (Weymouth, Mass) and Michelle Sheehan (Attleboro, Mass) and sophomore Madison Morrill (Westborough, Mass) tied for the team-high in kills with four.
- Sophomore Bianca Andronic (Somerset, Mass) tallied 11 assists to lead the Bucs. She also had 10 digs on the defensive end.
- Harrison led the match with 13 digs while freshman libero Isabelle Miazga (Rocky Hill, Conn) had 12 of her own.
For The Trailblazers
- Kelly Moczulski led all players with 11 kills in the match. Ahna Schlaefer had eight kills of her own.
- Tessa Sistito had a match-high 25 assists for the 'Blazers. Sestito also had six service aces on the night.
- Houa Xiong tied for the match-high with 13 digs.
How It Happened
MCLA posted hitting percentages of .346 and .219 in games one and three respectively to go along with double digit kills in each set, 11, 11, and 12, helped them to a three-game, straight set win over the Bucs.
In the first set, MCLA set out on a 14-3 run to begin the match. Holding serve and not allowing the Bucs to score more than two point in a row at any time, the hosts took set one 25-10.
The Buccaneers found their stride in game two, taking the momentum midway through the game. Down 14-7 at one point, Maritime outscored MCLA 12-4 in the next 16 rallies to go up 19-18, getting the go-ahead point on a Harrison ace. Maritime maintained their lead for a short period of time, leading 23-21 at one point. The Trailblazers capitalized on three Maritime errors in the next four serves to win the set, 25-21.
MCLA took a 10-0 lead to begin the third set. Maritime chipped away at the 10-point deficit but would never get back within seven point, dropping the match deciding set, 25-13.
The Buccaneers host Dean College on Monday, September 30th at 7pm in the Clean Harbors Center. The match against Dean begins a run of three home matches next week including a conference match against Framingham State on Wednesday, October 2nd, and a non-conference matchup against Nichols College on Homecoming Weekend at Mass Maritime on Saturday, October 5th.