BOSTON, Mass – Buccaneer volleyball traveled to Boston Saturday morning for a tri-match with hosts Suffolk University and Vermont's Castleton State University. The Bucs pushes Castleton in their second match of the day but left Boston 0-2 on the weekend.
Match One – Suffolk University
Final: Rams 3, Buccaneers 0 (25-12, 25-9, 25-21)
Records: Mass Maritime 1-8
For The Bucs
- Senior Captain Michelle Sheehan (Attleboro, Mass) led the Bucs and tied for the match-high with five kills.
- Junior Madison Coughlin (Monroe, Conn) racked up eight assists to lead the Buccaneers. Coughlin also had two service aces, tying Christina Ruggeri (Bourne, Mass) for the team lead.
- Senior Captain Marie Harrison (Weymouth, Mass) had a match high 12 digs defensively.
- Harrison, Madison Morrill (Westborough, Mass) and Alexa Smith (Shippensburg, Penn) all had two kills in the match.
For The Rams
- Stephanie Rheaume tied for the match-high with five kills.
- Harmony Johnson led all players with 13 assists.
- Jordan Smith led the rams with eight digs.
- Kenzley Bell had a match-high seven service aces.
How It Happened
Suffolk controlled the match in the first two sets, outscoring the Bucs 25-12 and 25-9. In the first set, the teams traded points in the early going, playing to a 3-3 tie. From there, Suffolk scored 10 unanswered points to take a 13-3 lead. The teams went back and forth again for the remainder of the match. The Bucs were unable to gain any ground on the Rams at the end of the first set and the hosts finished off the first set win, 25-12.
In set two, Suffolk went on a 10-0 run to begin the game. The would go on a 4-0 run and a 5-0 run in the set as well while only allowing nine points to the Bucs total, taking game two, 25-9.
The third and final set was not as easy for the Rams as the Buccaneers didn't go down without a fight. Down 20-12 at one point, the Bucs Pulled within three points, 21-18 after a 6-1 run of their own. Down 24-21, Maritime was unable to pull any closer, dropping the first match of the day, 3-0, to Suffolk.
Match Two – Castleton
Final: Spartans 3, Buccaneers 1 (22-25, 25-22, 25-19, 25-19)
Records: Mass Maritime 1-9
For The Bucs
- Marie Harrison (Weymouth, Mass) set a new career high in the match with 13 kills. That number also led all players in the match. Harrison also had 13 digs.
- Madison Coughlin (Monroe, Conn) racked up a career high 24 assists in the match and led all players. Coughlin also had three kills and 12 digs.
- Christina Ruggeri (Bourne, Mass) led all players with 18 digs against the Spartans.
For The Spartans
- Lizzie Goodrich led the Spartans with 12 kills.
- Bre MacDuff was second in the match and led Castleton with 20 assists and 17 digs.
How It Happenes
Maritime won the first set of the match, 25-22. A hard fought game and multiple 4-0 streaks by the Bucs led to them taking an early 1-0 lead over the Spartans in the team's second match of the day.
Though the two teams played to close sets in the following three games, the Buccaneers were on the losing end of each of the next three sets, including duplicate, 25-19, losses in sets three and four. At the end of the match, the Bucs fell 3-1 to the Spartans.
Maritime will host Curry College on Wednesday, September 25th at 7pm inside the Clean Harbors Center. It is the second meeting this season between the Buccaneers and Colonels. Curry won the first meeting, 3-0.