BUZZARDS BAY, Mass – Tuesday evening, the Mass Maritime volleyball team opened the home portion of their schedule with a non-conference tilt against the NEWMAC's Mount Holyoke College Lyons.
Final: Mount Holyoke 3, Mass Maritime 0 (25-11, 25-9, 25-11)
Records: Mount Holyoke 2-4
Mass Maritime 1-2
For The Bucs
- Junior Madison Coughlin (Monroe, Conn) led the team with six kills on the night. She added an assist and a service ace to her stat line.
- Senior Captain Marie Harrison (Weymouth, Mass) led the team with six digs while also having four kills offensively.
- Senior Captain Michelle Sheehan (Attleboro, Mass) racked up 10 assists in the game, running her three-game season total to 46 assists. She added four digs defensively.
- Freshman Hannah Tarbox (Attleboro, Mass) tallied three kills in the match
For the Lyons
- Senior Sasha Simine (Kitchener, Ontario, Canada) led all players with seven kills on the night. Offensively she also had three service aces, a solo block and two block assists.
- Sophomore Gabrielle Davis (Keller, Texas) added six kills of her own including a solo block and a block assist.
- Sarah Bishop (Rutland, Mass) led all players with six service aces in the match. She also had four kills and three assists.
- Junior Brayden Walden (McKinney, Texas) had 13 assists to lead all players.
How It Happened
The Buccaneers scored the first point of the match but following that point they were outscored 19-8 before reaching double digit points. Scoring back to back points in the first set to cut the Lyon lead to 19-11, MHC took over from there scoring six unanswered points to win the first set, 25-11.
A handful of errors in the second set led to a 3-0 start in set two for the Lyons. Though the Lions only had five kills with a .000 hit percentage in the second game, the Bucs totaled nine errors leading to a 25-9 set two win for the guests.
The third set was the best for the Bucs as they totaled seven kills and posted a .077 hitting percentage. On the other side, Mount Holyoke racked up nine kills and a .333 Hitting Percentage. The set ended 25-11 in favor of the Lyons, finishing the match in their favor, 3-0.
Next Up for the Buccaneers is a trip to Curry College on Thursday, September 12th to take on the Colonels at 6pm.